[Solved] Java deployment

Topics: Publishing Issue
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
How are people deploying java ? I've tried MSI and EXE and its failing with code 643, it's not a cert issue as I've successfully got adobe flash working fine.
Also I can't appear to delete products, the software crashes, from the logs I see this

Failed to publish ProductKiller
**** Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Hi Caffrey, thanks for your feed back.
I've tried MSI and EXE and its failing with code 643
Search in installation log to see if you can find the reason of the fail. Look at this page for telling MSI to log : MSI CommandLine

Try to run the MSI or the EXE manually on the computers to see if it install.
Personnaly, I always use EXE for publishing Java. Because EXE file do many check before installing Java, to ensure that Java can be installed safely. And even if Internet Explorer run at the time of the installation, Java will install properly.
Also I can't appear to delete products, the software crashes, from the logs I see this
I have received many Support Data File where user try to delete 'Non Empty Product'. This is not allow. In fact there is a bug in the UI of WPP, so that user can try to delete 'Non Empty Products'.
Try deleting ALL UPDATES in the product, then delete the product. Sorry for the inconvenience. This bug will be fix in the next release.
See This post for more explaination.
Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Thank you for the reply,

I've tried to publish with the exe and used this for the command line "/s IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 "
still no go, getting an error code of 643 / error 0x80070643.

Adobe flash via MSI is working great so I know its not certificate issues etc.

The workaround i've found for deleting updates is to decline first then delete - works every time :)

Thanks for your hard work

EDIT, I've fixed it now, silly me should've tried installing it via the exe first - there was an issue with the test machine /hangs head in shame...

Anyone know of anything I can push that will clean out all old java completely ? JavaRa for instance ?
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I'm using this CommandLine : /s IExplorer=1
Do not use quotes.
I think that : JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 doesn't work anymore since a very long time with EXE file.

Try without the CommandLine to see if it's the command that block the installation.
Does it fail on one computer or several computers ?
Jun 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Hi,

It's all working great now, thank you for your help
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Can you share the solution with us ?
Jun 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Problem was that other methods I've used in the past have caused some installations to fail.
Your method of using the exe works great especially with your command line suggestion.
Only other issue I ran into was certificate mismatch, I just redid and repushed out the certificate and recreated the packages, upto now on the test group everything is great.
Thanks for your hard work
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/5/2013 at 5:36 AM
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Do not forget that EXE deployement of Java will install Java Auto-Updater.
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Is there any reason why the MSI way fails ? I'll do some more testing then I could just use a TRANSFORM to stop the JU
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I think tha tEXE file do some actions to ensure that MSI can install safely. I always use the EXE file to deploy JAVA.
See 'Installing Java 7u21 without Java Auto Updater ' in the documentation tab to install JAVA with a Custom Update.
Jun 14, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Thanks for that,
I've got it running with a MSI and a transform however ran into this bug which it seems oracle are not fixing [TEXT](http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6947907

Problem with installer.dll, I'll investigate further, maybe a custom update with a java uninstaller.