This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] Deleting unsused update folders

Topics: Misc.
Aug 28, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Hello folks,

I'm starting to do my 1st steps with the PackagePublisher, and up to now I only can say: Very good work, thumbs up!

The only thing (up to now ;) ) I don't get is: How can I delete a folder in the updates-tree?
I.e.: I had published several stuff (Adobe Reader X, Flash Player, java, a.s.o.), and in the left pane of Package Publisher now I have an Update-folder-tree. How can I delete some of this (empty) folders if not needed anymore?
For example: After releasing "Adobe Reader XI" i don't need the folder "Adobe Reader X" anymore. Also a few misstyped folders I want to delete (that did not affect anything, but the design... :) ).

Is there a way "out of the box", or have i to do this in SUSDB?

Thanks in advance

Kurt
Coordinator
Aug 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Hi Kurt, WPP is able to help you to delete 'Empty Products' (Folder that don't have updates in it anymore).

First of all, ensure you have the good settings :
Setting for Deleting Empty Product
  • You need to run WPP locally on the Wsus server. Check the checkbox : Connect to the local server.
  • In the "When Publishing a new Update" option, you need to choose one of these two options : "Let me choose" or "Always..."
  • Ensure there is no updates in this folder. If there is some, decline it, then delete it. You can delete only product where there is no updates in it
  • Select the empty folder and right-click on it.
    Select the empty folder
  • Choose "Delete Product".
  • Wait a moment...
    Wait
Aug 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Hi DCourtel,

thanks for your fast reply.

After checking "Connect to local Server" the "Delete product isn't greyed anymore.
But unfortunately all products are still listed after the progress bar done (also if I reconnect to the server)
And 'cause there is no "delete" entry to delete the vendor-folder (i.e. "Symantec Corporation" in your screenshot), is that folder deleted automatically if it's empty (means no product-folders therein)?

Thanks in advance

Kurt
Coordinator
Aug 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I know this feature doesn't work every time. It still working at 99%
If you delete all empty product for a Vendor, the vendor should be deleted automatically.
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM
DCourtel wrote:
I know this feature doesn't work every time. It still working at 99%
Ok, so I try again during next days.
If you delete all empty product for a Vendor, the vendor should be deleted automatically.
Good to know.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Edited Sep 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Well, til now I can't delete the unused and empty folders.
The only way for me is to alter the WSUS database.

Because I'm not very familiar creating complex SQL-scripts, I have performed 3 steps to delete the unneeded entries in SQL-Manager:

1st step:
 SELECT [LocalizedPropertyID]
      ,[Title]
  FROM [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbLocalizedProperty]
  where [Title] = '<insertnameofurproduct>'
At least one row is displayed. Note the string in [LocalizedPropertyID]

2nd step:
DELETE FROM [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbLocalizedPropertyForRevision]
      WHERE [LocalizedPropertyID] = '<NotedStringFromStepOne>'
3rd step:
DELETE FROM [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbLocalizedProperty]
      where [LocalizedPropertyID] = '<NotedStringFromStepOne>
That steps I need do to delete the product and the vendor folders.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/5/2013 at 5:16 AM