This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] Trouble having packages installed

Topics: Publishing Issue
Oct 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I am having trouble with my first package. I am installing Java 7 Update 45. I can get my test system to pick up the install but I cannot get it to just install automatically or without an administrator login. Can anyone help me with what I am missing at this point?
Oct 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Hi,

how is your update configuration setup? You have to allow automatic installation (Setting 4) for update notification.
Do you deploy the .msi file or the .exe package?

Regards
Norbert
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Thanks for the response, Norbert. I am trying both the .msi and the .exe. I am prone to trying the .msi as I understand it should automatically uninstall the previous install. However, I also understand that the .exe will not be inhibited by any open usage of Java during the install. I am not sure where you are pointing me to for Setting 4. Can you help me get there in more detail?
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Hi,

do other updates install without administrator interaction? (Setting 4 is referring to Group policy Setting 4 for automatic download and install)

Regards
Norbert
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM
All the windows updates download and install upon shutdown as needed. I think this is what you are asking. In the Windows Update GPO (Server 2008 R2), I have Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation Enabled, if that is what you are saying as well.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM
So what exact error do you get when trying to deploy/install JAVA? Take a look at the windowsupdate.log.
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I do not get an error. It will install if I enter an administrator login into the UAC prompt. I am trying to avoid that process though so that it silently installs on a general user. The Windows updates do not require the login, just the ones I am passing though the WSUS package tool.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Did you have an mst file (distributed within the .exe) in the WSUS package?

Regards
Norbert
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I just have the MSI and CAB files. I have also tried just the EXE and get the same results.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Theres always a .mst file weithin the exe. This has to be in the wsus Package as well. If you don't put it in, you see the effects you're experiencing,
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Shouldn't it work then if I just use the EXE file?

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Don't know, I'm deploying only .msi package.
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM
So you include the msi, mst, and cab?

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Let me be sure I am doing this right...
I setup the package and I Approve it for a test group of computers. Should it just install itself if left alone, or do I need to trigger the Windows Update manually? I was thinking that nothing is happening automatically so I was forcing the Windows Update and seeing the package show up there. But then it requires an administrator login to finish the manual update. I am just trying to have it install automatically and silently.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
mattcoulter wrote:
So you include the msi, mst, and cab?
Exactly. :)
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM
mattcoulter wrote:
Let me be sure I am doing this right... I setup the package and I Approve it for a test group of computers. Should it just install itself if left alone, or do I need to trigger the Windows Update manually? I was thinking that nothing is happening automatically so I was forcing the Windows Update and seeing the package show up there. But then it requires an administrator login to finish the manual update. I am just trying to have it install automatically and silently.
It will install automatically at the scheduled/configured install time.
Marked as answer by mattcoulter on 11/4/2013 at 10:10 AM
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM
So, you mean the scheduled time for all the Windows Updates on the WSUS server itself, correct?

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM
No, the install date configured with gpo on the Client. ;)
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
OK, I'm getting it now... Thanks for clarifying. I think that is the problem is my automatic update is days away and I was triggering it locally manually.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
You can try setting the package to "never reboots" and See if it helps. If not just configured daily Installation for testing.
Oct 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I'm confused about the settings on the Update tab in WPP. There is the checkbox "When Packag-Type is Update...", and I am confused whether I would want that enabled or disabled and if that has any impact on this Java Update I'm trying to install without prompting.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
It doesn't, ;)
Oct 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Ok, I am having an installation problem. The update is throwing this error code "Installation failure" "code 0x80070643"

Any ideas?
Oct 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Can you send me the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file at package.publisher@free.fr

Thanks.
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Did you get a chance to see the file I sent?

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Nevermind... it is working now. Not sure why it wasn't working before but now it is installing Java. Now onto Adobe!
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 11/7/2013 at 12:18 PM