This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] "Not applicable" issue

Topics: Publishing Issue
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I've encountered a strange issue that I'm sure if it's a bug or something I've incorrectly configured.

I have two WSUS boxes - one with Windows 2012, the other with Windows 2003. I've built packages for Adobe Reader (.exe, .msp), Flash (.msi), Java (.exe). The 2012 box is used for patching Windows 8 and Windows 2012; the 2003 box patches everything else.

On the 2012 box, the packages work properly. On the 2003 box, so far only the Flash package works. The others show the status of "Not applicable" and won't install. The packages on both servers were built the same way, and each server and their clients use its own cert. Reg key "AcceptTrustedPublisherCerts" has been enabled.

I've rebooted clients and server, forced re-detects, and nothing on the 2003 box. On Windows 2012, the packages show up with the proper status of "Not installed". Is there something missing on XP/2003 clients? Is it a bug?
Nov 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Please, delete updates that appear as 'Not Applicable'. Download the latest release of WPP and publish again those updates.
Let me know if that solve your problem.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 5/8/2014 at 3:01 AM
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi, I was able to work around the bug by putting in conditions for package installation. What I ended up doing was adding in the rule "If x64 or x86 CPU, then install the package". With no conditions, it was considered "not applicable".

I'll try out the new update as well. Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated.
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM
That's right. The bug affect only updates made from a MSP file, and that don't have any rules in the "Is Installable" tab.
Putting rules in the "Is installable" tab can help to work around the bug.
Dec 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Edited Dec 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I'm struggling with the same issue for Adobe Reader. Reader itself installs fine, the updates (MSP) give "not applicable". After reading this thread I tried to work around it with the same rule as joe_dude did. This seemed to work. It shows not installed and it shows up in the client using the Windows Update. When I install the update it starts installing and ends with the message not needed. The error in the Windows Update log is 0x80240017.
I'm using the latest version of Package Publisher. How can I get the updates installed?
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM
What happen if you copy the MSP file on the computer and launch it manually ? Does it get installed ?
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Ad_S, double-check the reg key and cert has been installed (in both places) on the client.
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM
There seems to be some incompatibility between reader and the updates. Thee updates don't install manually. I have downloaded the dutch version of reader, there was only 1 version of the updates.
What version of the reader needs to be downloaded. Dutch is preferred, but English would be fine too. I don't know if MUI will work.

Reg key and cert are fine. Other programs install fine.
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Did some extra reading and started from scratch. First I reinstalled my test PC. That deleted all garbage from previous testing.

I downloaded the US version of Reader and customized this. I included the locales from the languages I needed and did a test install. This succeeded with the correct language displayed in Reader. After this I imported the updates from the catalog and all installed fine.
Now I have Adobe Reader, Flash player and Java handled by WSUS.
Great product and thanks for all the effort you put into it. But please, pay a little more attention to correct and updated documentation (i know this is forgotten easily).

Thanks for your help and for pointing me to the right direction.
Oct 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM
joe_dude wrote:
Hi, I was able to work around the bug by putting in conditions for package installation. What I ended up doing was adding in the rule "If x64 or x86 CPU, then install the package". With no conditions, it was considered "not applicable".

I'll try out the new update as well. Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated.
Ive published adobe reader 11 polish version and approved it for test group. Application successfully installed. But then Ive published update 11.0.09 and also had the same problem. Then I`ve added processor architecture for x86 and x64., And it works!

This solution helped me! Thank you
Oct 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Hm.. In the WPP console update for reader has status Not installed on test computer. Ive approved update but workstation dont detect this update...
Somebody can help me with this?
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM
I'm experiencing this issue with 2 last versions of Flash (16.0.0.257 and the one before) ActiveX and for plugin based browsers on WPP 1.3.1411.9.

I add the rules "If ProductCode exists" and "If x64 or x86 CPU", while selecting "Delete Rules at Package Level" on both pages and both patches on two different WSUS servers appear as not applicable for all the approved machines.

And I have no issues deploying Java using the same 2 WSUS instances.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Nov 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM
DCourtel wrote:
That's right. The bug affect only updates made from a MSP file, and that don't have any rules in the "Is Installable" tab.
Putting rules in the "Is installable" tab can help to work around the bug.
I think this bug is back in release v1.3.1508.08. No package level rules for the last reader msp update.
I tried to create the package with release V1.3.1504.15 and package level rules are presents with the same msp.