This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom Update Creator

Topics: Configuration Issue
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM
When creating a custom update, does 'path to file' under the Allow to execute a file tab point to where the file is located on the server, or to a directory that will be created once the update is created?
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM
This field refere to the location where the file is.

3 possibilities :
  • The file is in a shared folder on a server (Not recommended). Then the field should be filled like this : \\ServerName\SharedFolder\SubFolder\file.ext
  • The file is already present on clients computers (For example MsiExec.exe). Then you should put : C:\Windows\System32\MsiExec.exe
  • The file is not present on clients computers but is part of the update (For example a Setup.exe file provided by the vendor). Then you should put : Setup.exe. And Embedded the file into the update package (Add additionnal files when you set up the file tab)
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 5/8/2014 at 2:40 AM
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM
So if my file is located on the Wsus server I would make it C:... (etc to where I've placed it)

I keep getting errors on my install with the Java package, and I think this is where it's failing.

Thanks for your help.
Apr 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM
You should NOT make it C:.. You'll need to make it an UNC path. \WSUSServer\files\file.exe you cannot execute a file on the wsus server with C:\files\file.exe, the Windows Update client will look on it's own computer then.