[Solved] Adobe Flash Catalog - Only receiving 6KB file instead of 17-18MB files

Topics: Enhancement Request
May 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM
When connecting WPP to the Adobe Flash Catalog, I am only receiving the 6KB MSI (I assume) the online installers, and not the 17-18MB full installers. Is there a way to get the full installs from the Flash catalog in WPP that I am missing? I know I can access the Flash Player Distribution site, and create my own update, but I am trying to avoid that.

It works great for Reader/Acrobat in providing the *.msp's, just having a disconnect for Flash/ActiveX.
Editor
May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM
I work from begin with the Catalog, never i have had a problem.

Can you import other MSI from other Catalogs?
May 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM
The Flash catalog provides an MSI, its just not the full install MSI (~18MB) and is only the online install MSI i believe (6KB).

The Acrobat/Reader catalogs provide the MSP's as expected.

The Dell/Fujitsu/HP catalogs don't interest me. Are there any other catalogs that have MSI's that are free/open source?...maybe containing Oracle/Chrome/etc. updates?
Editor
May 1, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I allways import only the MSI Files ~18 MB. I never import only 6 KB.
Can you try to import it again? Is the CAB only 6KB?
May 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM
I've attempted 3+ times already with no luck. The CABs are also only 6KB.

I would say my issue is similar to what this guys is seeing here with SCUP/SCCM --> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/systemcenter/en-US/c159b615-f1a9-4648-8ad3-6f206c40a6ae/adobe-flash-scup-updates

The responders mention to make sure "Full Downloads" is selected in SCUP when using this catalog. I don't see such option within the catalog manager in WPP.
Coordinator
May 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM
can you send me the Cab catalog at package.publisher@free.fr
May 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Sent the email.

I am using the one provided in the shared catalogs: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/AdobeFlashPlayerCatalog_SCUP.cab

Is there another CAB you are asking for?
May 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Another email was sent that includes the CAB the Flash 13.0.0.206 created.
May 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM
@DCourtel - I am not sure if you are receiving any emails from me. I am unable to provide the zipped CAB files as your email provider is rejecting the message. Is there another option?
Coordinator
May 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM
You can try this :
  • Rename the .cab file into .txt and send it by email
    or
  • Use 7zip to compress the cab file and adding a password (this avoid antivirus scanner to see what's in the 7z file)
May 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Sent both ways in 1 email. It appears it successfully sent.
Coordinator
May 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Hi, I have received your mail. Once rename into .cab, the attached file contains a corrupt MSI file.
In WPP you can import only XML files or CAB files containing XML file.
If you click on this link :
http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/AdobeFlashPlayerCatalog_SCUP.cab
You will get the CAB file from Adobe. This CAB file contains the good XML file.
WPP will be able to import this CAB file and publish Adobe Flash Player.
May 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Here is what I attempted:
  1. Downloaded the latest CAB from http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/AdobeFlashPlayerCatalog_SCUP.cab
  2. Ran the "Import from Catalog..." feature in WPP and located the latest CAB i downloaded in previous step
  3. Selected a couple ActiveX/Plugin versions to import
  4. All are still corrupted at the 6kb files size
Am I missing something?

To clarify. Previously I was using the "Manage Catalog Subscriptions..." feature in WPP and imported the WPP\Shared Catalogs\Adobe-Catalog-FlashPlayer.xml with same results. In additon, I attempted to manually create a subscription to http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/AdobeFlashPlayerCatalog_SCUP.cab with the same results as well.
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Hi, I've download the same Scup.cab and import it into WPP. I have published ActiveX and Plugin of the latest version (13.0.0.206) and all work fine.
Which release do you have try ?
May 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM
I attempted the latest ActiveX and Plugin (13.0.0.206) as well.

I also attempted it again after removing the Adobe Flash/Plugin files from DRIVE:\WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages & DRIVE:\WSUS\WsusContent, with same results.

Its just an odd scenarios, especially if it works elsewhere. I'm running the latest release of WPP as well.
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM
As per the cab file, the msi file can be get here :
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_13_plugin.msi

Try to download it with Internet Explorer to see what happen.
May 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM
No problems downloading from IE.
Editor
May 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Did you using a proxy by downloading from WPP? Is your Firewall blocking?
Can you try a installation in a other environment without a proxy?
May 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM
@WinfriedSonntag - There is a proxy in place. IE and WPP are using the same proxy. Local Firewall on server is disabled. Its odd that I am able to download via IE just fine, but not WPP with same proxy. I'll see if I can get the server on an Open connection to see if that helps.
May 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM
What do you know....It appears to be the proxy. I was able to connect the server to an non-Firewalled connection and download the Flash updates from the catalog successfully. Thanks for all your help! Sorry for wasting any of your time, I should've caught this a while ago.

I've been evaluating this product for potential use and it really is a great product! If we decide to use it, it will definitely be very useful!
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 5/8/2014 at 2:22 AM
Editor
May 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Brinky wrote:
What do you know....It appears to be the proxy. I was able to connect the server to an non-Firewalled connection and download the Flash updates from the catalog > successfully. Thanks for all your help! Sorry for wasting any of your time, I should've caught this a while ago.
Great News, thanks. ;)

What kind of proxy you are using?

BTW: Proxies are good devil things! :)
May 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM
WinfriedSonntag wrote:
What kind of proxy you are using?

BTW: Proxies are good devil things! :)
Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the Proxy used. If I can find out I will share.
Editor
May 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Hi,

do you find out which proxy you are using?
May 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM
WinfriedSonntag wrote:
Hi,

do you find out which proxy you are using?
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be able to get this information.