This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] some Clients always "offline"

Topics: Misc.
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Hello

I'm new to WsusPP.
Some of my Wsus-Clients (Win7 x64, Win Server 2008R2, Win Server 2012R2) are always marked as offline, which is definitly not true.
From console on Wsus-Server I can ping the clients, but if I try to send an "Detect now" it fails with "no ping".
Windows Firewall is off at server and client.
Wsus is a Windows Server 2012R2.

Any ideas why? How to bring my clients "online"?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Hi, most likely, it is a problem of IPV4/IPV6 address.
When you ping a remote machine by its name, does the name resolved into an IPV4 address or an IPV6 address ?
Have a look into Options -> Settings -> Misc.
Marked as answer by rkauskh on 7/10/2014 at 2:13 PM
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Hello

The name is always resolved in an IPv4-Address. IPv6 is disabled in our complete network, cause of an issue in another application. Options --> Settings --> Misc is set to Always IPv4.
I think I found the solution. Windows sets on some clients the registry entrys "Domain" and "NV Domain" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Prameters. Empty the value of these keys, flush DNS cache und start a "Report now" on the client solved it.

Thank you pushing me in the right direction. :-)
Editor
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM
rkauskh wrote:
I think I found the solution. Windows sets on some clients the registry entrys "Domain" and "NV Domain" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Prameters. Empty the value of these keys, flush DNS cache und start a "Report now" on the client solved it.
Thanks for posting your solution. Could you pls post again what you EXACT delete?

Thanks. ;)
Jul 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Hello

Of Course I can. :-)
Some words to how this situation is possible.
In our company the windows domain (NT4 domain with samba3 as primary domain controller) is named "XYZ". But our DNS (bind9) extends a hostname "ABC" to the FQDN "ABC.companyname.com" and resolves to his IP-Address. In a situation I cannot reproduce a client sets the primary domain entry to "XYZ" while joining our domain "XYZ". The resulting FQDN of this client is "ABC.XYZ". If I ping this client from console with "ping ABC" everything is ok. If I try "ping ABC.XYZ" it fails, cause our DNS do not have an entry for this. We have around 70 Windows7 x64 Clients and all are joined to domain the same way.
Removing the primary DNS suffix in Windows GUI fails. So I have deleted the values (not the key itself !) of the two keys "Domain" and "NV Domain" in "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters". Now the hostname is "ABC" without primary DNS suffix "XYZ". Our DNS extends to "ABC.companyname.com" and delivers a correct IP-address.

If WSUS-PP would strip a hostname down to the part before the first point, it would work without editing the registry. But this would cause problems if there is a multi-domain environment with the same hostname in two different domains.

I'm only testing with 2 clients for now. If my "solution" is the wrong way and would cause more problems in future, please let me know. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.