WPP Client Actions: Start/Stop Windows Update Service

Topics: Enhancement Request
Aug 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Hello

The already very useful WPP client actions would be even better if It would be possible to start and stop the Windows Update client service. The client action "clean SoftwareDistribution directory" fails most of the time. But this action succeeds when the Windows update client service is stopped before.

Kind regards,
Franz
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Hello, WPP already stop "Windows Update" service before trying to delete this folder.
Please, when you try to use this option and it failed, go to "Help" -> "Send debug info" and click on the "Show information" link at bottom/left.
Send me the content of the file at package.publisher@free.fr with a reference to this thread.
Editor
Aug 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM
DCourtel wrote:
Hello, WPP already stop "Windows Update" service before trying to delete this folder.
Please, when you try to use this option and it failed, go to "Help" -> "Send debug info" and click on the "Show information" link at bottom/left.
Send me the content of the file at package.publisher@free.fr with a reference to this thread.
David, i think it will be be a good idea for the next release to stop BITS too before try to delete %windir%\SoftwareDistribution. Sometimes i have to stop the BITS manually and then i can delete SoftwareDistribution.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM
I didn't precised it, but WPP also stop Bits' service. :-)
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 9/13/2014 at 12:24 PM