This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] Custom Update for .msu file

Topics: Publishing Issue
Aug 23, 2014 at 3:07 AM
I published a custom update that I was hoping would run the following wsua.exe commandline:
"wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2819745-x86-MultiPkg.msu /quiet /norestart"

So my text xml is this:
-<CustomUpdate> -<Action> <ElementType>CustomUpdateElements.ExecutableElement</ElementType> <PathToExecutable>C:\Windows\System32\wusa.exe</PathToExecutable> <Parameters>Windows6.1-KB2819745-x86-MultiPkg.msu /quiet /norestart</Parameters> <KillProcess>True</KillProcess> <TimeBeforeKilling>5</TimeBeforeKilling> <Variable/> </Action> </CustomUpdate>

Installing the update results in the following error:
Windows update "Update for Windows (KB2819745)" could not be installed because of error 2149842966 "" (Command line: ""C:\Windows\System32\wusa.exe" Windows6.1-KB2819745-x86-MultiPkg.msu /quiet /norestart")

It looks like the final command that is being run contains an extra set of "" around the executable location, but I'm not sure if that's the only thing causing the fail.

What did I do incorrectly?
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM
It looks like the final command that is being run contains an extra set of "" around the executable location
It looks to be the normal behaviour.
This error code means : "try to install while another install is going on or reboot is pending"
Restart the target computer and try to install again.

If it doesn't works, try to install manually with this command line : wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB2819745-x86-MultiPkg.msu /quiet /norestart
Put Windows6.1-KB2819745-x86-MultiPkg.msu in the same folder than wusa.exe.
Aug 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Restarting doesn't help, I tried that and also tried install on other computers. Also, other updates will install fine. I'm starting to think that wsua.exe might rely on some Windows Update process itself. So wusa can't install because you are already using Windows Update in installing the update itself. That's my guess anyway.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM
That could explain the error message : "try to install while another install is going on"
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Ok, so here's what I did to get around this. I read here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307/en-us) that wusa.exe uses to pkgmgr.exe to install the updates. So instead of using wusa.exe, I used pkgmgr.exe as well, see xml below.

You have to extract the contents of the .msu, and them add them to the update. My first test went well, so I'm going to try other .msu's that I have to see if they'll work too. I still have to figure out the return codes for pkgmgr.exe, though.

<PathToExecutable>%windir%\System32\pkgmgr.exe</PathToExecutable>
<Parameters>/n:Windows6.1-2819745-x86.xml /quiet /norestart</Parameters>
Marked as answer by FailedExperiment on 8/26/2014 at 1:05 PM
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Type : pkgmgr.exe /?