[Solved] Adobe Reader package issues

Topics: Configuration Issue
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
I'm currently having two issues with my Adobe Reader packages. The first one being I have a test machine running Adobe Reader 11.0.0.8 currently and created the package for Adobe Reader 11.0.0.9. WPP is says the newer update is installed already under status when I check the machine it is still running 11.0.0.8.

We recently tested changes with Group Policy to hide updates for Java and Adobe Reader to avoid having multiple people calling the Help Desk when the program tells them they need to update. I'm not sure if this could be related but figured it worth mentioning.

The other issue I'm having is on a few machines, the Reader update would install, but no shortcuts would be visible. Not even from the Start Menu and All Programs. The only way to open reader (without opening a .pdf) is navigating to the home directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader). Any ideas on why this issue would happen in a fashion that appears to be random among test users.
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM
This are my already installed rules...
<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}" Value="DisplayVersion" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="11.0.9.0"/>
or
<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}" Value="DisplayVersion" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="11.0.9.0"/>
and update is installable rules.
<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}" Value="DisplayVersion" Comparison="LessThan" Data="11.0.9.0"/>
or
<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}" Value="DisplayVersion" Comparison="LessThan" Data="11.0.9.0"/>
Modifying the shortcut can be manipulated through Group Policy but most of the time it is through a transform file.
Oct 18, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Edited Oct 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM
I have the same problem with shortcuts.. I have checked msi file in customization wizard and I see that adobe reader should create two shorcuts one at dekstop and second in start menu... But It not do this.. Do not know why...
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM
RedLineby wrote:
I have the same problem with shortcuts.. I have checked msi file in customization wizard and I see that adobe reader should create two shorcuts one at dekstop and second in start menu... But It not do this.. Do not know why...
Most likely, you have publish this update without the option "Can request user input". So, the update installs with "System" account and therefore doesn't have access to the user's profile.
If you use the option "Can request user input", you will probably have these (useless) shortcuts, but you will also have a user interface shown during the install.
Editor
Oct 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM
RedLineby wrote:
You can create a shortcut in a Active Directory Envorinment with Group Policy Preferences. I think it is the better way.
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:49 AM
DCourtel wrote:
RedLineby wrote:
Most likely, you have publish this update without the option "Can request user input". So, the update installs with "System" account and therefore doesn't have access to the user's profile.
If you use the option "Can request user input", you will probably have these (useless) shortcuts, but you will also have a user interface shown during the install.
I have changed package and add option "Can request user input"; removed adobe reader and clean up SoftwareDistribution folder; restarted test machine; checked for update and installed Reader. But nothing was changed...
Oct 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM
My issue was resolved by a change I was enacting in the Adobe Customization Wizard when modifying the MSI. Under Direct Editor my instructions stated to drop the Shortcuts row under the table InstallExecuteSequence. I remade my package but did not drop that row and my shortcut issue was resolved.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/20/2014 at 1:48 PM
Oct 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Psolberg wrote:
My issue was resolved by a change I was enacting in the Adobe Customization Wizard when modifying the MSI. Under Direct Editor my instructions stated to drop the Shortcuts row under the table InstallExecuteSequence. I remade my package but did not drop that row and my shortcut issue was resolved.
Thank you. Your solution fixed my problem!