This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Client failed to connect

Topics: Configuration Issue
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM
WSUS running on Windows Server 2003 in a Domain environment. I already had Local Update Publisher installed and working and I wanted to try WPP. I installed WPP on the WSUS server and reused the same certificate used with Local Update Publisher. While running WPP with a Domain Admin account, I can create a new install package and see all my client computers. When I click on send Detect now on any client computer, I get the following error. "Failed to connect with provided credentials."
Jan 30, 2015 at 8:52 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2015 at 9:06 PM
In the tools > settings window, in the Authentication Settings tab, which option radio button is selected? In there, there's the option to use the current credentials, specify a username and password, or ask each time.

WPP uses WMI to create the remote process. See if you can execute the following command using the same user and same machine (replace [computername] with the name of a remote system that's failing):
wmic /implevel:impersonate /privileges:enable /node:[computername] process call create "WuAuClt /DetectNow"
If you have an error there, you should troubleshoot that, since that's essentially what WPP does to force a remote detection, at least from what I can glean from the currently posted source code. If that command works, and WPP still gives you that error, then... something fishy is happening!
Marked as answer by KJessie on 1/30/2015 at 2:03 PM
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM
The radio button was set to use current user. I had tried changing the user before posting because that didn't work either. It is working now though. I ran the WMIDIAG and it pointed me to the problem. The server had DCOM turned off.