This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom updates to Windows 10 machines

Topics: Publishing Issue
Sep 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM
Hi everyone,

So I've only started using WPP in the last 1 month or so and am making great progress with Java and Flash deployments but I seem to be having issues with Custom updates and Windows 10. Has anyone got any custom updates deploying yet to any?

I get "Error 0x80070643" for 2 custom updates that work fine for Windows 7 SP1 , 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. The custom updates are just making registry and service changes.

For now I'm going to validate the target Windows version for the installed/installable rules but I will need to find a fix at some point as we start getting more machines with this OS.

Thanks
Mark
Sep 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM
Please, ensure that .Net 3.5 is installed on the target computer.
Marked as answer by mgallon32 on 9/8/2015 at 7:14 PM
Sep 9, 2015 at 2:18 AM
DCourtel wrote:
Please, ensure that .Net 3.5 is installed on the target computer.
Hi sorry for not getting back to you before.

I see that both Windows 8 / 8.1 and 10 no longer have .net 3.5 included - I guess this goes for server too but I have yet to roll out as far as servers.

I ended up using some group policy "Computer Config>Polices>Windows Settings>Scripts>Startup pointing to a pair of BAT files on a UNC share path - note that the bat file must have security set for read/execute "Authenticated Users" so the client machines can run it as "System". The GP then has some WMI filtering enabled so it only runs on the correct machines:

For windows 10
root\CIMv2
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "10.%"
Windows 8.1
select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "6.3%"

The BAT file's for us one for 8.1 and one for windows 10 had the following commands which point to the extracted sxs folder for each source ISO:

Windows 10
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:"\SERVER\ISO\OperatingSystems\Windows10 Enterprise x64\SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_64BIT_English_MLF_X20-26061\sources\sxs" /LimitAccess

Windows 8.1
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:"\SERVER\ISO\OperatingSystems\Windows 8.1\SW_DVD9_SA_Win_Ent_8.1_64BIT_English_-3_MLF_X19-84068\sources\sxs" /LimitAccess

Then on login the missing feature is installed and like magic the custom WPP updates will work a treat.

I hope this is of some use to other newbs to WPP like me setting this up for the first time,

Thanks
Mark
Sep 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Take care within Installation .net Framework. There is a GPO with a setting you can set it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782
Sep 9, 2015 at 5:59 AM
WinfriedSonntag wrote:
Take care within Installation .net Framework. There is a GPO with a setting you can set it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782
Thanks for the heads up Winfried, did you encounter many issues with the .net install on your machines? I've only had to deploy it to half a dozen so far using the above command and only this morning did it get enabled in GP for what must be another dozen machines. I think any servers that we need to do we will do manually etc.

Thanks
Mark
Sep 9, 2015 at 7:18 AM
No, we have not many issues. But if you have a WSUS, you can have a issue with installation from .net Framework. This is the reason for posting the KB-Article.