Java 8 updates

Topics: Configuration Issue, Publishing Issue
Editor
Feb 3, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I ran into an issue with Java 8 updates. They are installing fine, but the old installations still remain.

I deployed Java 8 b66 to everyonea and now b71 came out. I created a superseding update and removed the b66 and the b71 installs fine, but the b66 is still installed on the computer. So now i have a Java8 b66 and Java8 b71 installed on the computers. Previously it just upgraded it and the old build disappeared (unless it was a major update from 7 to 8).

Is there a way to force it to uninstall or properly upgrade the builds within major versions?
Editor
Feb 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM
If you understand German, you can use this HowTo and the EXE inside.
http://www.wsus.de/uninstall2install
Mar 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Hi!

I just create a new Update with the MSI file adding this optional command line:
INSTALL_SILENT=Enable AUTO_UPDATE=Disable WEB_ANALYTICS=Disable EULA=Disable REBOOT=Disable NOSTARTMENU=Enable WEB_JAVA=Enable WEB_JAVA_SECURITY_LEVEL=H SPONSORS=Disable REMOVEOLDERJRES=1
With the last switch all versions of the same architecture are uninstalled.

Otherwise you can perform a custom update running this command first:
wmic product where "name like 'Java%%' and version < '8.0.66'" call uninstall
Mar 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2016 at 10:26 AM
EDIT:

You can get a list of the program name and version # running this command in a dosbox:
wmic product get name,version
comparing the the command above you can deinstall Adobe Flash 21 like this:
wmic product where "name like 'Adobe Flash Player %%' and version < '22'" call uninstall
Apr 4, 2016 at 2:39 PM
A little bit late, but maybee helpfull for other folks.....

If you deployed your JAVA as .msi, there is one way more. Do not remove the old update in WPP, but set the update permission from " Permission to install " to " Permission to deinstall". A new update "installs" on your clients an deinstall the software.

A very new way, with new WPP Version 1.3.1603.29 is to create a custom update with the option " deinstall MSI-Installation" .
Apr 6, 2016 at 8:59 AM
GMBU - Thank you for the replay.
where can I find the " Permission to install " ?
I tried to follow the guide from the documentation section but it's failing to uninstall
the install process work perfectly but the uninstall won't work
Apr 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM
GMBU, but my expirience is, that deinstall MSI not working well. Like is described in "uninstalling all java release except the latest one.pdf"
Apr 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM
for me, the last Java release 8 update 91 msi (from %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Oracle\Java) works with the commandline Switch REMOVEOLDERJRES=1.

All Switches together does not work.

INSTALL_SILENT=Enable AUTO_UPDATE=Disable WEB_ANALYTICS=Disable EULA=Disable REBOOT=Disable NOSTARTMENU=Enable WEB_JAVA=Enable WEB_JAVA_SECURITY_LEVEL=H SPONSORS=Disable REMOVEOLDERJRES=1
Apr 25, 2016 at 3:03 PM
If you open and check the msi, you can see that REMOVEOLDERJRES=1 is standard configuration. Mysterious. So, typicaly it is not nessasary.

But Im also in deinstallation trouble, Remouving of old instalations? Maybeee.... from time to time, one client yes, one client no....
  • "Permission to deinstallation" for older installations of Java 8 does not work on all clients.....
  • the new Custom update "deinstall MSI product" does not work on all clients...
maybee there is a extra bug in combination with upgraded w7 ->W10 Clients....