This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Wmi query Rule

Topics: Misc., Publishing Issue
Apr 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Hi,
have created a basic update that works fine like many others. Now, I need to do an exclusion of 3 computers. In the rule page and in the Update level rules section, i put "the MsiProductInstalled" And this WMI query "SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem where not name = 'XYZ' ".

The problem is that when i check the updates for the client XYZ the update is available for the installation. Instead, I expect to don't see updates available.

Of course, i done something of wrong but now it is invisible to my eyes. Please, help me with your advices.

Many thanks,
Roberto
Editor
Apr 1, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Wrong Syntax.

where NOT name =
where name <> name
where name IS NOT xxx

Syntax: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394605%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

You can use Caption too:

"SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem Where Not Caption = 'sdfad'". Important! No Space between the quotation marks.
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM
Thanks WinfriedSonntag.

I changed the WMI filter and deleted the space. Below the screenshot :

but the update is still available from the client. I have done many times wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow and restarted the computer. :(

Have you another advice?

Thanks
Roberto
Editor
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM
Hmm, i never work with WMI-Querys in WPP. ;)

Try this: "SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem Where Not Caption = "sdfad""
Or without Quotation marks.

After recreation, run Windows Update again and click again: Search for Updates
Apr 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM
Hi WinfriedSonntag,
i have noted your suggestion and i will try as soon as possibile. For the moment, i have suspended this job for other more urgent. However, I need to solve it .
At soon.

Thanks
Apr 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM
Hello!

I'm back only to explain my action in waiting to have time for fix the query problem in WPP.

The computers is organized by GPOs (Enable client-side targeting).
For no-stop the deploy of the new release of Java and preserve the 3 client with the old version { :-( }. I have worked in AD creating a Group "3PC-NoJavaUpd" and i have put it in the delegation of the standard Wsus-GPo with deny on 'Apply group policy'. In meantime, another Gpo client-side targeting "3PC-NoJavaUpd" with a WMI Filter i have redirect the 3 computer in a new group in Wsus and isolated them.

Roberto