[Solved] Multiple WSUS Servers

Topics: Configuration Issue
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I had one question after looking at the documentation. We currently have two WSUS servers, one at our main location and one at a satellite office. The satellite office WSUS server is setup as a replica server, though it pulls Microsoft update files from Microsoft rather than over our WAN connection. If I publish a 3rd party update using your tool to the main WSUS server, will the replica server recognize that, or do I need to publish the update to both servers?

Thanks for any help you have. This tool looks quite interesting to me.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Hi jerquiaga, and thanks for your interest into WPP.
You ask an interesting question. In my Wsus infrastructure, I have one upstream server and 4 downstreams servers as replica. This is simple to manage.

Your downstream server pulls files from Microsoft's servers, so the question is to know if the downstream server is smart enough to see this is a localy publish update. And so, to download the file from the upstream server rather than Microsoft's servers.

The only thing I can say for now, is that you won't be able to publish directly to a replica server. WSUS doesn't allow that. And WPP will not let you do.

Let me do some tests. And I come back with, I hope, some good news.
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Great, thanks for looking into this!
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Looks like WSUS is smart.

Locally publish an update on the upstream server and doing a sync, publish that update on the downstream server too.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/8/2013 at 11:28 AM
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Excellent! Hopefully I'll get this setup in the next week or so. Thanks for the research!
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:45 AM
You're welcome.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you need some help to get WPP working with your Wsus infrastructure.

Any suggestions, bugs reports or features requests are welcome.
Keep me inform of your progession please.