[Solved] Publishing Adobe acrobat update

Topics: Publishing Issue
Apr 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I followed the instructions and installed on our production WSUS server. Created self signed certificate and installed in Trusted Publishers & Trusted Root Certification.

I want test an update installation for Adobe Acrobat
lets say a computer has Adobe acrobat 9.5.3 and I want to push update 9.5.4 to that.

Do I have to follow the same procedure as "Adobe Reader XI deployment guide" ? since it is not .exe and an update.

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Hello pthiyaga,

First, ensure you make difference between :
 * Adobe Reader : For reading PDF.
 * Adobe Acrobat : For creating PDF.
Second, "Adobe Reader XI deployment guide" is a special deployment procedure and you do not have to follow it. In Addition, I think that "Customization Wizard" does not exist for version 9 (only starting with X).

If a computer have already Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat, you can update it by deploying an .msp file (Patch file). Patch files are lighter than full files. You can download it here :
 * [Adobe Reader](ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/)
 * [Adobe Acrobat](ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/9.x/)
If you want to deploy 9.5.4 everywhere there is a 9.5.3, leave "installed rule" and "installable rule" empty. Wsus will use .msp metadata to generate it automatically.

Once you have publish the update, do not approve it immediately. Select the vendor of the update in the left pane. Select the update in the upper right pane. On the "Status" tab, select a computers group. Select some computers in the lower right pane. Then right click on these computers and choose "Send DetectNow". Wait 1 minute, to let these computers to check if they need this update. Then, on the same computers, right click and choose "Send ReportNow". Wait 30 secondes, to let the server processing these answers.

Verify, that computers who need the update, report as "Not Installed". And computers that do not need this update, report as "Not Applicable".

If you have a test group in your Wsus, approve this update for installation in this group. Wait 30 seconds, and send a "DetectNow". Depending of your computers configuration, they will download and install the update or wait for the user to click to install.
Once some computers have installed the update, check that the software work reliably.
If you are satisfied with this update, you can apply it to other groups

Note : 9.5 is a pretty old release. If you're talking about Adobe Reader, consider an upgrade to the latest release (11.0.2).

If you have any problem for publishing, testing, installing, don't hesitate to contact me.
Apr 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Hi DCourtel, Thank you for your detailed reply.

I tried publishing Adobe acrobat release 11.0.2 , but it look like not functioning as you mentioned.

I think better I should double check the Installation and configuration of the Wsus Package Publisher with you.

So , I have installed WPP (v1.1.1303.16 (x64) on our WSUS server (Windows 2008R2 running windows server update services).
Followed the installation guide.

open WPP :: Certificate: Tools > Certificate
generated certificate and Saved it. (Noticed on wsus server/certificate mmc, there is a folder as "WSUS" under that certificate sub folder found a certificate saying "WSUS Published Self signed".
Exported the certificate and then Imported that certificate to WSUS server's "Trusted Publishers" and "trusted root certification authorities"

Have a test group on wsus which has two computers (one XP and one Win 7) rather than setting up a GPO to push the certificate to those computers. I just manually installed the certificate on those two computers as I did on WSUS server ( trusted publishers & trusted root..)

Can you please confirm me whether I'm on the right track to proceed publishing...

Thank you.
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I think you are in the right way.
Using WPP directly on the Wsus server is a good point for starting as the Admin console is already installed and I suppose you are using an account that belong of the "Wsus administrator" group.

Regarding certificate, two points :
 1.  Ensure you have import it in the "Computer Account" (mmc -> File -> Add ... ->Certificate -> computer Account)
 2.  Ensure you have reboot the machine after importing certificat. 
Secondly, when you say "it look like not functioning as you mentioned" : What exactly doesn't work as expected ?
Publishing the update ? Computers doesn't see the update ? Computers doesn't download ? Installation failed ?
At which step does it fail ?
Have you an error message from WPP ?

Did you see the update in WPP ?
Have you approve it for installation in your test group ?
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I restarted the computers & WSUS server after the certificate installation.

So, in the test group I have a Win Xp pc with Adobe Reader 7.0.9 & Java JRE 1.4.1
                              and a win 7 (VM) with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0.0  & Java version 7 update 11
I tried Adobe Reader XI and 11, after "Send detect now" and "send report now" the status shows "unknown"
for Adobe reader 11, both computers shows status as "Not Applicable"

I approved for installation , checked "Status" and "report" tab after some time and still it shows "Install" on Approbation and on Report tab "0" for Downloaded.
I'm not sure how to check whether anything happening?

My problem is , I just want to publish and test one update....(either Adobe or Java , either one computer on test group)
Can you suggest which update I can download and publish via WPP to test whether it works properly ? for example , for Adobe acrobat Do I have to download the .msp for the exact next release from what it has (9.0.0) or can I try any version msp i.e 9.2 ?

Thanks
Apr 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM
forgot to add something..

Do I have to select any rule after selected the .msp file when creating the update..
Can't I proceed without selecting any rule?
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Do I have to download the .msp for the exact next release from what it has (9.0.0) or can I try any version msp i.e 9.2 ?
Yes, MSP files are patch files. With that you can update a software from ONE version to another ONE version (for example : from 11.0.0.0 to 11.0.1.0). You will NEVER update a software from 11.0.0.0 to 11.0.1.0 on one computer and from 11.0.1.0 to 11.0.2.0 on another one computer.

Don't try to update Adobe Acrobat Pro for now, because you will have licence problems.
Let concentrate on Adobe Reader 7.0.9 on your XP computer.
First, go to Adobe Reader FTP
Choose the appropriate language and download the MSI file (this is a FULL installation file. With that you can upgrade from release 7 to release 11 directly).
Then download release 11.0.1.0 in MSP format HERE
This will allow you to update release 11.0.0.0 to 11.0.1.0
Then download release 11.0.2.0 in MSP format HERE

Start WPP and publish MSI file et the two MSP files. Leave the 'installed rule' tab and the 'installable rule' tab empty. Wsus will automaticaly generate appropriate rule base on the msi/msp code.

After these files have been publish, wait 30 seconds to let Wsus process these update.
Open a session on the XP computer. Open a command line and type : Wuauclt /DetectNow
Wait one minute. and type Wuauclt /ReportNow
Wait 30 seconds, and, on WPP, refresh the display. See if the XP computer show these updates has 'not installed'.

You can do the same for updating Java 7 u11 to Java 7 U17.
First go HERE
download the JRE : jre-7u17-windows-i586.exe for 32bit or jre-7u17-windows-x64.exe for 64bit

As this is an EXE file, the installation won't be silent if you do not add this switch /s in the command line (at the bottom of the second page when creating your update).

Keep me informed of your progress.
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Something weird happened..

For Adobe,

After DetectNow & ReportNow, the status for the XP computer was "Not applicable"
I clicked approve and after some time when I check the Status/Report , 7 PCs were "Installed " from All computers.
But I only selected "test" group for the approval. I did not notice anything on the test pc.
so I deleted the update from WPP.

so if the status says "not applicable" even we approve , it will not be installed?!

Java:

The win7 pc in the test group shows status "Not Applicable" no idea why since it has version 7 update 11.

Also I did not understand something from your instructions, ""Leave the 'installed rule' tab and the 'installable rule' tab empty"""
where this part comes?

Only on 3rd page of creating update I see "Rule Type" where a list of rules available such as 'MSi product Installed , Processor architecture, etc..
I didn't add any rule for both updates.

Are there any options such as "if this version available, not update" etc..

still confused.

Thanks
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM
other confusion is that I didn't install the certificate on those computers!!! which got adobe XI installation....
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM
pthiyaga wrote:
Something weird happened..

For Adobe,

After DetectNow & ReportNow, the status for the XP computer was "Not applicable"
This happen sometime, if we try to launch a 'DetectNow' / 'ReportNow' too early after having publishing the update.
I clicked approve and after some time when I check the Status/Report , 7 PCs were "Installed " from All computers.
Approving update have no effect on the detection by clients. Clients will evaluate installable rules and installed rules event on 'not approved' updates. This is usefull to determine if our rules are good.
If some computers show as 'Installed' for Adobe that mean that the software is already installed. But the software was not necessarily installed by WSUS. It can be installed by the user earlier, or by an admin.
But I only selected "test" group for the approval. I did not notice anything on the test pc.
so I deleted the update from WPP.

so if the status says "not applicable" even we approve , it will not be installed?!
Updates evaluate at 'Not Applicable' won't be downloaded nor installed. Clients think they have no needs for this update.
Java:

The win7 pc in the test group shows status "Not Applicable" no idea why since it has version 7 update 11.
Strange as you have publish an EXE file and add no rules. All clients should report has "Not Installed".
Also I did not understand something from your instructions, ""Leave the 'installed rule' tab and the 'installable rule' tab empty"""
where this part comes?

Only on 3rd page of creating update I see "Rule Type" where a list of rules available such as 'MSi product Installed , Processor architecture, etc..
I didn't add any rule for both updates.
Yes this is what I call 'installed rule' tab and the 'installable rule' tab. Sorry for my bad english.
Are there any options such as "if this version available, not update" etc..
This is where 'installed rule' tab and the 'installable rule' tab become usefull. You will define rules that will be evaluate by clients computers. You can say something like "If this registry Key exists, and the value is greater or equal to 7.11.0.0 then don't install this update"...
still confused.

Thanks
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/8/2013 at 11:27 AM
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM
pthiyaga wrote:
other confusion is that I didn't install the certificate on those computers!!! which got adobe XI installation....
Computers can not install a package from WSUS if they not having the certificate. They will not trust the package.
I think those computers had already Adobe Reader XI installed.