[Solved] Adobe Reader - chain publish 11.0.0 msi along with current 11.0.3 msp files in one package?

Topics: Publishing Issue
Aug 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Is there a way to publish Adobe Reader 11.0.0 msi file, along with the current 11.0.3 msp file in one package? Or must this be done with two different packages, one install and one update?

I gather than the Adobe Reader msp files are comprehensive in that I don't need to worry about publishing prior versions of 11.0.1 and 11.0.2.

This is an excellent piece of software and am very excited to have found it, now I'm just trying to learn its use.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Bobby
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Hi Rodavis3,
Is there a way to publish Adobe Reader 11.0.0 msi file, along with the current 11.0.3 msp file in one package?
Yes it is possible, thanks to 'Custom Update'.
I gather than the Adobe Reader msp files are comprehensive in that I don't need to worry about publishing prior versions of 11.0.1 and 11.0.2.
In this case, yes. Adobe 11.0.3 can be installed over 11.0.0 without installing 11.0.1 and/or 11.0.2 before. Carefully note that it is not always possbile. For example 11.0.2 CANNOT be installed over 11.0.0, but only over 11.0.1.

To do that.
  • Make a Custom Update
  • Add a Variable Element (type Int)
  • Add a Execute file Element pointing to MsiExec and refering to the Adobe MSI file.
  • Add a Wait Element ( 30 seconds)
  • Add a Execute file Element pointing to MsiExec and refering to the Adobe MSP file, set the return code to the Variable Element.
  • Add a Wait Element (30 Seconds)
  • Return the Code store in the Variable Element.
See the documentation for more détails on Custom Updates
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 10/5/2013 at 5:20 AM
Aug 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Hi DCourtel,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll explore more with Custom Updates.

As far as msp files (in general) being comprehensive in updating software, is there anyway to tell ahead of time or is it just trial an error for any prerequisites; or just performing a manual install test?

Thanks again.

Bobby
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Your first source of informations is the Editor Web Site. Check for prerequisites when downloading. Else, make some trials :-)