This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Closed] Detection logic when moving pc

Topics: Publishing Issue
Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Hi,

first i want to thank the developers for this great piece of work!

My question is about detection logic when i move a pc into a group eg. WPP_Testgroup which already has approved updates in it.
My experience is that updates aren't detected. No updates are showing up. Status for this new pc leaves at "Not Installed". When creating and approving new updates this new pc receives them, or when revising already approved updates. i not quite sure what happens when changing update (which don''t show up at the client) from status "not approved" and after while back to "approved". i think one client received them, but another client (which also was moved to this group after some updates where already approved) doesn't show them.
The other way around: what should i do if i install a new pc which is detected by WSUS and showed up in the group" unconfigured computers" (i mean the standard group, but i've got german version of WSUS. Hope you know which group i mean!). For Windows updates i don't need to move the pc (but i could!) because any security Update is also approved for this standard group and they are showing up. When moving this pc tho a "WPP_Testgroup" older approved updates won't be showing up.
What is the configuration or behaviour which i misunderstand?

Thanks in advance
Hannes
Oct 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Hi,

Locally published updates are manage by Wsus the same way that Microsoft updates. Once you have change the 'Computer Group' membership of a manage computer, and assuming it has 'realize' his membership have changed, it will report the status for approved updates in this new group.
I don't know how you have set your GPO regarding time interval between to detection/report but I think to remember that the default setting is 22h.

Personnaly, I use a special group where I put new computers that I prepare. These computers need some softwares that need to be installed only once, then update like other computers.
Once I have finish to install these software, I move the computer to his definitive computer group.
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM
DCourtel wrote:
Hi,

Locally published updates are manage by Wsus the same way that Microsoft updates. Once you have change the 'Computer Group' membership of a manage computer, and assuming it has 'realize' his membership have changed, it will report the status for approved updates in this new group.
I don't know how you have set your GPO regarding time interval between to detection/report but I think to remember that the default setting is 22h.
Thats the behaviour which i experience with Microsoft updates in WSUS. GPO with standard rate 22h. I triggered the detection and reporting manually several times with wuauclt.exe /detectnow /reportnow an watched the windowsupdate.log.
Personnaly, I use a special group where I put new computers that I prepare. These computers need some softwares that need to be installed only once, then update like other computers.
Once I have finish to install these software, I move the computer to his definitive computer group.
Thanks for the tip
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 9/13/2014 at 12:45 PM