[Solved] Open browser and Java Update

Topics: Configuration Issue, Publishing Issue
Oct 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for this great project.
I use WPP for Flash Player and Java Updates.

My Java Update package use .msi and is prepared according to description in HOW TO: Deploy Java 7 Update 45 (32-bit) & (64-bit) with UAC on or off in the client environment (https://wsuspackagepublisher.codeplex.com/discussions/462519).

Normally it works great, but if any browser (e.g. IE) is opened, it always fails.
When update Java manually, there is possibility to force "close browsers and continue".

Is any possibility to get the same or simillar functionality using Java Update through WPP?
I don't want to kill processes using Custom Update. I'd like to give users possibilty to save their work and than update Java.

Best regards,
Jacek
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Hi,
Normally it works great, but if any browser (e.g. IE) is opened, it always fails.
This is why I never use the MSI file, but instead the EXE file which can update Java with opened browser.
Is any possibility to get the same or simillar functionality using Java Update through WPP?
Yes. You can use a custom update which launch a VBScript that will check if any browser is open, ask the user to close it and then update Java.
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Hello,
This is why I never use the MSI file, but instead the EXE file which can update Java with opened browser.
I don't know that. I need to test EXE file.
From other discussions, it seems that MSI file are better and more reliable for JAVA update.
Are any other pros and cons for using EXE file for JAVA update?
Yes. You can use a custom update which launch a VBScript that will check if any browser is open, ask the user to close it and then update Java.
For me, it'll be easier to use PowerShell :)
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM
EXE file make some verifications before launching the MSI file. It take appropriate action to ensure a successful deployement of Java.
So far, I never had problem with EXE file, especially since I use a custom update to kill the process if it take to much time to install Java.
Oct 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM
We've done some tests and try to update JAVA using .exe file - but it doesn't resolve all problems. Results below:
Windows 7 x64, no Java
no browsers open - everything OK
any browsers open – everything OK
browser open with Java application – msiexec error and update fails

Windows XP, no Javy
Firefox open – everything OK
IE open (any page) – msiexec error and update fails

Windows XP, Java 7 Update 25
Firefox open – everything OK
IE open (any page) – msiexec error and update fails
Firefox open with Java application - everything OK
IE/Crome open with Java application – msiexec error and update fails

It seems very randomly (asspecialy on XP).
Any suggestion?

Regards,
Jacek
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
It has always been difficult to update Java. As your tests show that installation goes well if no browser are open, you may want to try a custom update with a script that check if any browser is open, ask the user to close his browser and update. Another solution is a script which check if the computer is in a process of shutdown, and launch the installation only if this the case.
Oct 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM
"Another solution is a script which check if the computer is in a process of shutdown, and launch the installation only if this the case."

It is very intersting idea. Do you have any example? Or do you know where to find such script?
As I understand, such script should also disable a possiblity to install update during normal work.
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Be aware that such script will only, avoid installation of the package if the computer is not in process of shutting down. The update will still show up to the user in 'Windows Update'. The user still be able to launch the installation of this update, the update will not install but appears as installed and then will be reproposed to the user until the shutting down of the computer.
This may lead to several calls to the helpdesk !
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I have a varied XP/Win7 x86 & x64 environment, and had the same experience with the EXE; like DCourtel says, WSUS is a bit limited, and WPP can't initiate the updates only on shutdown like we wish.

Next Java update I'll write a script that notifies the user and kills off Java so it can update, or something like that. Out of my user pool of 300, I probably had 20 bad installations last time, so that was a hassle.

Thanks for your help, DCourtel! I appreciate your help!
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM
You're welcome. I think the best thing is to post messages on the Oracle forum for them to improve the installer.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 5/8/2014 at 3:00 AM
Jan 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM
@DParks256
It would be very neat if you would share that script!
Java 7u60 should be out tomorrow.
Jan 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
not for nothing, but i solved this (i think it applies here) in a simple way. i wrote an application that forces a logoff of all users on a computer. it runs on a scheduler at night at a certain time. updates deploy after the timed logoff. the app was necessary because the subscribers to our WSUS were a mixed of domain and non-domain computers.

i knew that there would be situations where specific users should be able to stay logged in, or specific machines should not be forced, so the app checks the registry. if the machine is flagged as 'doNotLogoff', the step is skipped. if, as the app iterates through all logged in users, a user is listed as 'doNotLogoff', that user is skipped.

would this solved the issue? i do not believe in forcing updates on people during the work day. it disrupts productivity.