This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Republishing Adobe Reader with customized settings

Topics: Publishing Issue
Jan 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Hello,

there are many different installations of Adobe Reader in our enterprise. Most of them are 11.0.03 but even MUI versions and many 11.0.04 and 11.0.05.
Further several of them are allready published by WPP but without customized settings.

Now i want to republish Adobe Reader and prefer some customized settings and the latest version 11.0.06.

My previous method is downloading the latest version 11.0.06 from
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.06/de_DE/
unzip it und open the included AcroRead.msi with the Adobe Customization Wizard XI.

Edited points:
  • Installation Path to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Reader 11.0" (ignoring x86 and x64 because of a simple ruleset later in WPP)
  • removed AutoUpdater
  • deactivated all possible online services
    etc.
    After saving the the file i open in WPP the MSI Reader to check the MSI Product Code of my edited AcroRead.msi.
    It is still {AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-AB0000000001} whether if i open the default AcroRead.msi of version 11.0.00 or later.
    It is obviously always the msi file of version 11.0.00 independent of the version of the exe file.
Nevertheless i create in WPP a new Update and select the setup.exe and additional Setup.ini, ABCPY.ini, AcroRead.msi, AcroRead.mst and Data1.cab.
My allready installed ruleset is
<lar:And>
<msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{ac76ba86-7ad7-1031-7b44-ab0000000001}"/>
<bar:WindowsVersion Comparison="GreaterThan" MajorVersion="5" MinorVersion="1" ProductType="1"/>
<bar:FileExists Path="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"/>
</lar:And>
My still installable ruleset is
<lar:Or>
<bar:WindowsVersion Comparison="GreaterThan" MajorVersion="5" MinorVersion="1" ProductType="1"/>
<lar:Not><msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{ac76ba86-7ad7-1031-7b44-ab0000000001}"/></lar:Not>
<msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{ac76ba86-7ad7-1031-7b44-ab0000000001}"/>
<lar:Not><bar:FileExists Path="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"/></lar:Not>
</lar:Or>
After approving my test clients get this new windows update. But by installing it the installer detects an already existing Adobe Reader installation and requires a user input to repair or uninstall it. If i check the uninstall procedure the uninstallation works fine but the reinstallation of the new customized package has to be initiated by Windows Update again.

My matter is that i do not want the users to be required to uninstall a previous Adobe Reader version. I would prefer if the previous installed version uninstalls und the new installs absolutely silently.
In the Customization Tool ist the option "Remove all versions of Reader" already checked.

Any ideas?
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Hello,

maybe i have an idea.

If i create a custom update like this
  1. Declare a variable ReturnCode as an Integer
  2. Allow to exec the file "%windir%\System32\msiexec.exe" with additional Parameters "/X{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-AB0000000001} /qn" and restoring the Return Code to ReturnCode
  3. Pause the process for 60 seconds
  4. Allow to exec the file "%windir%\System32\msiexec.exe" with additional Parameters "/i [...]\AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroRead.mst /qn" and restoring the Return Code to ReturnCode
  5. Pause the process for 180 seconds
  6. Define the return code for this Custom Update to ReturnCode
The Ruleset may be the same like outlined above.

Where do i have to store the Installation Package with the customized AcroRead.mst?
Do the Clients have to get access to this directory or is it just necessary that the WPP server gets the access to this directory?

WPP is a great tool but i did not use custom updates yet and i am not sure whether i undestood it correctly.
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Hi,

I have had the same problem with almost exact the same symptoms. I found out why there is only the Adobe 11.0.0 version installed:
When you extract the archive with 7Zip, only 5 files are extracted. Looking inside the MSI package there is alway version 11.0. I wondered why the version is 11.0 when installing from MSI or from extracted setup.exe, and the version is 11.0.06 when installing from downloaded and packaged AdbeRdr11006_en_EN.exe.

As stated here
http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2010/06/16/how-to-extract-an-msi-file-from-the-exe-for-adobe-reader/
you can extract the exe with an option
AdbeRdr11006_en_US.exe" -nos_ne
This will extract also a 11.0.06 MSP file.

Problem: you want to update, so you must use the 11.0.06 MSP file. With that, it won't be possible to make new settings.

So you have to make an administrative installation with the 11.0 MSI file
msiexec /a AcroRead.msi
use a local directory to put the administrative installation, e.g. admin\
Then slipstream the MSP into that administrative installation - to admin\
msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd11006.msp
Now you have a 11.0.06 package. Copy the setup.ini from first extraction to that directory or you won't be able to save the package in Adobe Customization Wizard.

[edit: a test does not work unfortunately]
[edit2: Upgrading does not work. Installing does work]

My problem now is that the version check in WPP does not work.
The rule that lets the client determine if the update is installed:
<msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{ac76ba86-7ad7-1031-7b44-ab0000000001}" VersionMin="11.0.6.0"/>
This does not work, maybe because the version is 11.0.06 instead of 11.0.6.

Does anyone know how the installer compares the version in registry? That would help me a lot.
Jan 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Try with 11.0.6.70, it's the exact version of 11.0.06.
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:39 AM
My problem now is that the version check in WPP does not work.
The rule that lets the client determine if the update is installed:
<msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{ac76ba86-7ad7-1031-7b44-ab0000000001}" VersionMin="11.0.6.0"/>
This does not work, maybe because the version is 11.0.06 instead of 11.0.6.

Does anyone know how the installer compares the version in registry? That would help me a lot.
Did you try to check the version in registry

e.g. for x86 systems
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-AB0000000001}\DisplayVersion values "11.0.06"

e.g. for x64 systems
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-AB0000000001}\DisplayVersion values "11.0.06"
Jan 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Did you try to check the version in registry
Yes I did.

I then tried to use the custom update function but as this will be a rather complicated procedure and there is no way to re-edit the package and correct mistakes, I will use Active Directory deployment with a PowerShell script to deploy this full version.

DCourtel: I don't think that this is an official version from Adobe. I guess this is a malware transport package from some download sites without a good reputation.
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM
This is the official version from Adobe web site :

Adobe Version
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM
macxs wrote:
As stated here
http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2010/06/16/how-to-extract-an-msi-file-from-the-exe-for-adobe-reader/
you can extract the exe with an option
AdbeRdr11006_en_US.exe" -nos_ne
This will extract also a 11.0.06 MSP file.

Problem: you want to update, so you must use the 11.0.06 MSP file. With that, it won't be possible to make new settings.

So you have to make an administrative installation with the 11.0 MSI file
msiexec /a AcroRead.msi
use a local directory to put the administrative installation, e.g. admin\
Then slipstream the MSP into that administrative installation - to admin\
msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd11006.msp
Now you have a 11.0.06 package. Copy the setup.ini from first extraction to that directory or you won't be able to save the package in Adobe Customization Wizard.

[edit: a test does not work unfortunately]
[edit2: Upgrading does not work. Installing does work]
After some trying and searching i have found a complete and detailed procedure to create a adobe reader 11.0.06 package.

http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/09/10/deploy-adobe-reader-11-0-4-with-configmgr-2012-sp1/

Now i have this package and can see in Adobe Customization Wizard XI in the Direct Editor the Properties where Product Version is 11.0.06 ... hurray!

New problems:
  • I cannot install the package in command shell as long as i am not the administrator
msiexec /i "[...]\AcroRead.msi" TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /qn
I have got the error ID 10005 at windows protocols (sry but i am german and do not know how it names in the english versions of windows) that i do not have the needed credentials.
  • I cannot install the package in command shell as long as there is already a previous package with an older version installed
  • If i try to publish it i become errors during windows updates installs (surelly because of the 1st and 2nd point)
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM
HerrmanKrebs:
I cannot install the package in command shell as long as there is already a previous package with an older version installed
Same here. That's why I'll solve this with group policies a last time. Almost finished with the script.

DCourtel:
This is the version of the exe-file. The version of Reader is 11.0.06.
If you would have read my first post, you'd understand my point.
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM
macxs wrote:
HerrmanKrebs:
I cannot install the package in command shell as long as there is already a previous package with an older version installed
Same here. That's why I'll solve this with group policies a last time. Almost finished with the script.

DCourtel:
This is the version of the exe-file. The version of Reader is 11.0.06.
If you would have read my first post, you'd understand my point.
It is pity that it does not work as i wanted. I really do not know what i am doing wrong.

I appropriated the Adobe Reader 11.0.06 with group policies and it works fine.
Marked as answer by HermannKrebs on 1/31/2014 at 7:07 AM