This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

[Solved] Deploying Firefox

Topics: Publishing Issue
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I have to deploy Firefox and the Flash plugin. I tried to do this with the MSI version from FrontMotion. Whatever I tried, the update is not detected on the client. WPP reports the update as not installed.
Can someone help with the creation of the update. I'm asked to have Firefox installed by the end of next week and I really don't want to run from PC to PC so I hope you can help me.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Hi,

First, ensure the update is approve to this computers group. Then, verify that computers are allowed to install update from third party editor via Wsus.
Jun 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Hi,

I already deploy Adobe reader and Flash player (active-x for IE) and Java so the computers are allowed to install the updates, and yes, of course it's approved for the computers group. I just think I am missing something in the deployment of Firefox but I don't know what.
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM
On a computer that should download the update, can you look at C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log and see if you can find any error message.
Also, can you tell us what do you have set for 'IsInstalled' and 'IsInstallable' rules ?
Which release of WPP have you used to publish this update ?
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM
There is nothing in the log. It just says no updates. If there was an error I would have something to start with.
I just noticed there is a new release of WPP, I use 1.3.1404.13. I will update tomorrow.
I have set the MSI Product code for installeble and for IsInstalled (revese).
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM
The update shouldn't make any difference. Once Firefox has been published in Wsus, WPP doesn't do anything in the detection/installation process.
The strange think is that computers report the package has "Not Installed", that mean computers 'need' this update, but didn't download it.

On the 'informations' tab, click on the 'Id' link. This will open a window with a .cab file and a folder. In the folder you should see all files for this update. Is it the case ?
Jun 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM
I used the MSI I downloaded from Frontmotion. I also created my own MSI with Advancedinstaller. Unfortunatelly both don't install.
Both MSI's are in the ID link folder.
It's quite strange that the report shows not installed but the log shows 0 updates needed.
Is there anything I can try on the IsInstallable page? Everything else installs fine. It's just Firefox that's giving me headaches.
Jun 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM
I just thought of something I had not done yet. I restarted the WSUS server.
Now Firefox and the Flash plugin are detected and installed.
Sometimes the simplest solutions do the trick.

Thanks.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 6/9/2014 at 8:20 AM
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM
I find the guideline for deploy firefox with wpp. I think it can help you.
http://www.sthshare.com/wordpress/wsus-package-publisher-deploy-firefox.html