This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Install this Update.... explanation

Topics: Misc.
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM
I have a question regarding how a function of WPP works. Currently I am in the testing phase of creating/deploying packages. I have a test group of 7 machines that I approve installation of my packages for.

I noticed I can select unassigned computers in a package, which is all of my machines not in the test group, and right click on a computer profile and select, "Install this Update..." and send the command.

My question is will this install the update immediately, or will it happen on their next restart? I'm also curious if the fact that I haven't approved this update for installation for this group of computers will affect anything, or if my command to install the update will override that and install anyway.
Editor
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Psolberg wrote:
I noticed I can select unassigned computers in a package, which is all of my machines not in the test group, and right click on a computer profile and select, "Install this Update..." and send the command.

My question is will this install the update immediately, or will it happen on their next restart? I'm also curious if the fact that I haven't approved this update for installation for this group of computers will affect anything, or if my command to install the update will override that and install anyway.
AFAIK the update will install immediately. But, why you don't try? ;)
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I don't know what AFAIK means, but I did try it and the update did not install immediately, or after a restart.
Editor
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM
As far as i know = AFAIK. ;)

OK, what errormessages you find in Eventlog on the Client? Errormessages in %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log?
The Credentials from you WPP-Login are local admin rights on the clients?

Log on as a local admin, will you find the Update via Windows Update? Is the install manually working?
Jul 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM
I see no error messages in the event log on the client. Yes the credentials I use for WPP have admin rights.
Editor
Jul 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Psolberg wrote:
I see no error messages in the event log on the client. Yes the credentials I use for WPP have admin rights.
You look in Eventlog Installation?

OK, and what you find in %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log at the Client? You can attache the file here.
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Hi Psolberg,
I haven't approved this update for installation for this group of computers will affect anything, or if my command to install the update will override that and install anyway.
Client computers will only install approved updates.
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 9/13/2014 at 12:26 PM