This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Accidentally clicked on "Generate the Certificate" again

Topics: Configuration Issue, Enhancement Request
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I have had WPP up and running successfully with no issues for some time now. Unfortunately, I accidentally clicked the "Generate the certificate" option today. It made a certificate and with no other options I saved it locally.

Will this have any impact at all on existing and future updates? I'm hoping I don't have to redeploy that certificate but I'm guessing that I do. If that's the case, could I suggest an enhancement request to confirm the generating of a certificate when one is already in place, just for stupid accidents like this :(
Aug 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM
If you have a backup of this server, you can try to get back the certificate. If no backup available :
  • Already published updates will continue to work (until the lost certificate expire)
  • Newly created updates will be signed with the new certificate, so you have to distribute the new cert.
    As you will have to distribute the new certificate, I think it's better to re-sign old updates. So that, you can forgot about the old certificate.
Marked as answer by FailedExperiment on 8/22/2014 at 12:51 PM
Aug 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM
I did have a copy of the .cer that WPP generated, but I wasn't able to import it into WPP (not a .pfx), and when I import into the wsus server, WPP said no certificate existed.

In any case, no problem! I'll redistribute the new cert and work on re-signing the old updates as suggested. Thanks!