WPP is very slow publishing big Updates

Topics: Configuration Issue, Publishing Issue
Nov 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Hi,

I try to publish bigger packages using WSUS and WPP.
So it takes up to 30 mins to an hour to get the packages published. The Setup folder (and all its files) takes round about 1.6 GByte of disk space.
My storage location for the Updates is a mapped network drive with a Gigabit network conneciton.
My 2nd problem is, that I can publish the update, but it always sais "Update failed to download". But I can see it in the list - what am I doing wrong?
The 3rd problem is really strange: while publishing is in progress, I try to use the machine for other tasks. When WPP is in foreground, I cannot move the mouse pointer. When I try, the computer locks.

Regards,
Georg
Coordinator
Nov 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Hi,
Publishing is faster when WPP run on the Wsus server and all published files as well..
...it always sais "Update failed to download".
Where do you see this message ? At which step does it occurs ? Be sure to use the latest release of WPP (1.3.1411.09).
When WPP is in foreground, I cannot move the mouse pointer. When I try, the computer locks.
When WPP call Wsus API, those API can take as much as 100% of the CPU if the update file is very large.
Nov 11, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Hi,
hmmm – but on the network drive I have got more disk space ;) all right, I will give it a try to change the folder where the updates are located.
The error message I see in the WSUS console. I try to refresh and see the message in the status of the update in the list after the update is published.
With "locks", I mean my user is locked out suddenly. When I move the window in the background, I can use the machine. Very strange behavior...
Regards,
Georg
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2014 at 7:59 AM
As I understand, the error message ("Failed to download the update") appears on clients computers when they try to install the published update.
Does it always occurs or just with this big update ?
Please, looks into C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log to get more informations on what happens.
Nov 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Sorry, I did not tell it right.
It occurs at the Server - and I use the latest release.
The exact error is: "The files for this update failed to download. the update can be approved but will not be available for computers until the download of the files is complete. Click Retry Download to start the download again."
And - as I stated before, it occurs after the update is published from WPP to WSUS (it said "update published successfully").
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Please, can you see if this apply to your case : CAB files limitations