Installing Java 8 Update 25 without Admin Rights

Topics: Configuration Issue, Enhancement Request, Feature Request, Misc.
Dec 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

I have 120+ users with a limited budget, so anything I can do for free or cheap is recommended. I stumbled upon your software and have been very successful sending out my regular WU and some custom updates through my network. Way to go guys!

The only problem I am having now is I cannot get Java to install without requiring Admin rights.
Has any one else been successful in doing this? This is the last piece to have all of my software deploy-able without having to use the slow GPO method.

Thank you all and I love your work!
Dec 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
WSUS makes updates available to the WUA to download and install the published and approved updates under the context of the local system account. Updates don't run in a user's context. How are you sending out custom updates now?
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Good morning Austinian,

For Adobe Reader, I am using the executable version of 11.0.9 packaged under the custom updates options of WPP with a silent install flag.

For Java 8u25, I want to use the MSI install file with an MST, but when I push it out to my test computers, it is Admin rights to install.

Keep in my I do not give local admin rights to my users.

Thanks,
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM
So you're creating an update using WPP, marking the update as applicable to the test system, and using windows update on the test system to run the update?

I'm just trying to verify that the update is being run under the context of Windows Update and not some other mechanism. What user is the process running as that prompts for elevation?
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM
That is correct! On the test machine, it comes up under Windows Update as a new important update. I click the install button and the UAC comes up requesting admin rights.

The currently logged in user is setup as as standard Domain User with no Local Admin Rights.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM
This can happen if you have used the option "Can request user input". in this case the update is installed in the "user context".
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM
DCourtel! :D

I removed the "Can request user input" check box and now I am just receiving an error:

Code 80070667 - ERROR_INVALID_COMMAND_LINE

I am not using an command line flags at the moment, but I have tried: /qn, /s, and /silent

What flags are you guys using to install Java silently?
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM
If you are using the EXE file, it's /s. If you are using the MSI file, it's nothing :-)
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Thanks!

I will give that a try :)
Dec 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM
DCourtlel and austinian,

It worked!!

Thank you so much for your help on this matter. Your product has saved us a lot of time, effort, and money.

Have a wonderful and blessed day!
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Edited Apr 28, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Do anyone have a step by step guide, how to make a package of Java 8.40 that works in a mixed Windows 7 and 8.1 enviroment? I've try to make a package with the instuction of the Java 7.21 under the documentation, but didn't work.
Editor
Apr 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM
HZoltan wrote:
Do anyone have a step by step guide, how to make a package of Java 8.40 that works in a mixed Windows 7 and 8.1 enviroment? I've try to make a package with the instuction of the Java 7.21 under the documentation, but didn't work.
I think it is better you start a new own thread. Pls give us in your own new thread more informations about your problem.

If you understand a little german, you can use my tool and read my small Howto for the Tool: http://www.wsus.de/uninstall2install