Deployment of Upgradable Software

Topics: Misc., Publishing Issue
Dec 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I have got WPP installed and running, and successfully deployed Adobe Reader, Flash & Java to a test group.

I have also managed to deploy 3rd party software using a custom update (version 10.5.0.446) with a classification of Updates and package type Application.

I now need to deploy version 10.5.1.401 of the 3rd party software, but I am getting error 0x80070643.

I ran the entire command locally on the PC and I get a dialog, which I assume may be the cause of the error, informing me:

"An upgradable version has been detected. Continue the installation and upgrade to ...."

I recreated the package and configured it as an Update rather than an Application, but still get the same error.

So my question(s) is/are :
  • Is this an issue with the package; would /qn resolve the issue?
  • Is this a fault with how the MSI has been created?
  • Should the new MSI have a different upgrade code in the property table?
  • Can I force windows update to perform the upgrade?
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM
As your update file is an MSI, you have to use the /qn switch to make this installation silent. Create a new Custom Update that launch the MsiExec.exe with this switch.
Marked as answer by ahj2014 on 12/29/2014 at 6:35 AM
Dec 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Thanks for your prompt answer.

It turns out that, although they were accepted on the initial installation, the parameters, or property values, I was passing to msiexec.exe were causing it to fail. Once I'd removed those, and added /qn, the package installed successfully.

Is it good practice to include the /qn switch on all msi installations?
Jan 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Hi all,

how should additional switches on .msi files be used? I tried simply entering "/qn" in the "Command Line" field of the Update Creation Wizzard, but get an error 80070667 (bad command) upon installation. I expect all possible parameters of msiexec can be used here, right?
Coordinator
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM
If you are creating a standard package with a MSI file, Wsus will automatically add /qn to the command line. So, if you add /qn by yourself, these switch will be present twice and give an error.
If you are creating a custom update, you have to add /qn in the custom update wizard (when adding the item to run msiexec.exe)