Error "CreateDirectory failed"

Topics: Configuration Issue, Publishing Issue
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Hi all,

I have installed WPP on my Windows Server 2012 R2 server. There is also my WSUS installed.

I can't create any package with WPP as I always get the error message "CreateDirectory failed".
I made a standard installation, didn't changed a path. I first thought, that it is a problem with the access rights for the path. But I already checked this. I can manually create folders.
Has anybody an idea how to fix it or where it comes from? Do I have to check some registry paths? All ideas are welcome as I really couldn't find a solution so far in the internet.

Or: If there is no easy solution: Is there a proper way to uninstall wpp, so that I can start from the beginning?

Thanks a lot
Editor
Jun 2, 2015 at 7:56 AM
Froschkoenig wrote:
Or: If there is no easy solution: Is there a proper way to uninstall wpp, so that I can start from the beginning?
Just delete the program Directory. There are afaik no other files or registry settings
Coordinator
Jun 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Hi, Usually this happen when ACL are wrong on the folder where Wsus store its packages.
Look NTFS permission on this folder : x:\WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages
If the folder doesn't exists, create it.
Jun 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM
NorbertFe wrote:
Just delete the program Directory. There are afaik no other files or registry settings
It's not possible to delete the folder. When I do this, I get the message, that a file ist still in use. I can't see an open file or folder. I also can't find a running service for wpp.

DCourtel wrote:
Look NTFS permission on this folder : x:\WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages
If the folder doesn't exists, create it.
I already checked this. The folder exists and I have full access to this.
Jun 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM
Has anybody else an idea how to fix my problem? It’s a bit urgent and I it seems that I’m not able to fix this small issue..Thanks again
Editor
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Check permissions from this KB: technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/dd939790(WS.10).aspx
Deinstall Antivirus from your WSUS.
Jun 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM
We have the same Error here.

Every permission I checkt so far where right, according to the Guide.
I can create Folders in the \WSUS\UpdateServicesPackages Folder.
Unloading the Antivirus Programm also did not change a thing.

Where can i find a LOG-File for the process?
When we startet with this tool we had a few errors while downloading packages, there we get a detailed LOG-File and we could figure out what the problem was.
But here we only get a short Error, and after that the Programm closes itself.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2015 at 2:51 PM
Hi, such errors are thrown by Wsus itself. You may find some informations in the Windows Event log or the Wsus log.
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM
There is nothing in the WindowsUpdate.log and in the Windows Event Log.

Maybe the connection to WSUS itself is not working correctly?
I am not able to see Local / Windows Updates either. (The Option under Settings is checked)
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Please, check into this folder : C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles
On the Wsus Server
Jun 26, 2015 at 11:52 AM
2015-06-26 11:42:19.815 UTC Warning w3wp.11 SoapExceptionProcessor.SerializeAndThrow Discarding stack trace for user X, IP Address X.X.X.X, exception Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusObjectNotFoundException: Das angegebene Element wurde in der Datenbank nicht gefunden.
bei Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPGetUpdateById(String preferredCulture, UpdateRevisionId id)
bei Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetUpdateById(String preferredCulture, UpdateRevisionId id)
2015-06-26 11:42:20.316 UTC Info Wsus Package Publisher.19 ThreadEntry _ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback
2015-06-26 11:42:20.327 UTC Error Wsus Package Publisher.19 Publisher.PublishPackage PublishPackage(): Operation Failed with Error: CreateDirectory failed
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
at Wsus_Package_Publisher.WsusWrapper.PublishUpdate(SoftwareDistributionPackage sdp, String folder)
at Wsus_Package_Publisher.CatalogUpdateImporter.PublishSDP()
at Wsus_Package_Publisher.CatalogUpdateImporter.DownloadFileCompleted(Object sender, AsyncCompletedEventArgs e)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Can you spot the Error?
(I cleared the Username and the IP Address)
Jun 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM
It seams that the WSUSContent / UpdateServicesPackages had to be shared.
This must have been forgotten during the last enlargment of the Content Drive...

I just published my first Update to a Client.

Thank you!
Marked as answer by DCourtel on 6/30/2015 at 12:59 PM