This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to validate a new update ?

Topics: Publishing Issue
Aug 11, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Hi guys,

When deploying a new update, how can I validate this new version on a test group computers since this group have the previous version already approved ? If the two versions are approved it runs into some kind of conflict. Do I have to unapproved the previous version first ?

Thanks

Chris
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2015 at 5:03 PM
You can either :
  • Decline the first update
  • Declare the old update as superseded by the new one
  • Change the "IsInstallable" rules of the old and new update.
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:17 AM
If I declare the old update as superseded by the new one, the new update will be automatically approved for all computers groups, won't it ?
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2015 at 9:23 AM
No, supersede and approvals are two separate things.
Aug 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Okay, one more question please : after approving the new update and declaring superseding the previous one, do I have to declare not approve the superseded update ?
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM
That depends, if the old update is superseded by the new one in all computers group, then the old update is useless, and you can decline it.
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM
But if I leave the old one approved there won't be any conflict between the new one and the old one approved on the same computer group ? Some kind of flapping, installing the old one then the new one then the old one ...
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2015 at 6:08 PM
Why don't you test this in a test group ? Put your computer in this test group, approve boh superseding and superseded update into this group and see what happen
Aug 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM
If I leave the new and previous version approved, the latter one is declared "not applicable".

Now, I don't know if this will be the same for all news updates of any packages I will deploy.
Editor
Aug 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Hi,

why should there be a difference for any other packages? If the new updates supersedes any previous updates, the previous updates are always not applicable, because they are superseded by the new update. Makes sense? ;)
You can keep them as history or for fallback cases, but you can also delete them to get free space.

Regards
Norbert