This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Setting up the sequence of Windows Updates published through WPP.

Topics: Misc.
Mar 3 at 7:44 PM
Edited Mar 3 at 7:54 PM
The situation is as follows.

We need to push out a few updates, and they have to be published as separate updates, but installed in a sequence for example - #1-#2.

If we make #2 dependent on #1 than #2 will ONLY show up the next day when Windows Update checks for updates again. But we need all of these installed at the same time.

I tried giving them numerically-alphabetically sortable names: "Package#1" and "Package#2" and but #2 still gets first, before #1.

So far I cannot find anything from Microsoft or anywhere else. It looks like this would need to be some sort of a "hack", but I cannot figure out HOW Windows Update chooses which package to install first.

Anyone can suggest a way to make sure that Windows Update installs Package#1 before Package#2?

Thanks.
Mar 4 at 3:28 PM
Two possibility :
  • Set a GPO to tell computers to check against Wsus every hours instead of every 22 hours (default settings)
  • Create a custom update that install the first package and then the second
Mar 10 at 7:56 PM
Edited Mar 10 at 8:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, but "check every hour" does not equal "install every hour".

Second option does not work in our case, already tried and tested, we need a way to start the Windows Update install process twice in the span of 2 hours roughly.

I am testing doing this with a shell or WPP-sent command for now..